Danish shipping company Maersk still plans to move more than 30 container ships through the Suez Canal and the Red Sea in the coming period, according to a schedule released late on Monday local time, even though one of its ships was attacked in the area over the weekend.

But due to the continued risk of attacks by Yemen's Houthi militants, Maersk also shelved plans for some ships to use the Red Sea route, saying it would announce the itinerary of each ship at a later date.

On Sunday, the Maersk line suspended all sailings through the Red Sea for 48 hours after Houthi rebels attempted to board a Maersk container ship. U.S. forces eventually repelled the attack, killing several militants.

The Houthis, who control parts of Yemen after years of war, began attacking international ships passing through the Red Sea in November, saying it was responding to an Israeli assault on the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.

Major shipping groups including container giants Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd stopped using the Red Sea route and the Suez Canal last month, instead bypassing the dangerous area via the Cape of Good Hope.

But Maersk said on Dec. 24 it was preparing to return to the Red Sea, citing the deployment of a U.S.-led military operation aimed at protecting ships.

The company said its priority was the safety of crews, vessels and cargo and that plans were being updated “ship by ship”, with some to pass through the Suez Canal and others taking the longer route around Africa.

A detailed comparison of Maersk's latest itineraries with those it published last week shows that the giant has suspended plans for at least 17 ships to cross the Red Sea. The company said a new schedule would be announced later. The company did not say whether this meant the ships would go around the Cape of Good Hope, and Maersk did not immediately respond to a request for comment on its schedule.

Rival Hapag-Lloyd said on Friday it had decided to continue moving its ships away from the Suez and Red Sea for safety reasons, adding that the next review would be carried out on Tuesday.

Alliance partner Mediterranean Shipping Co (MSC) will continue to divert all its ships via the Cape of Good Hope, according to Maersk. MSC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Suez Canal is a passage for about one-third of the world's container ship cargo, and if the ships are diverted to bypass the southern tip of Africa, it is estimated that each round-trip voyage of these cargo ships will increase fuel costs by up to $1 million.

The article is forwarded from: Jinshi Data